Friday, June 6, 2008

Bee Skeps

I was flipping through the Martha Stewart Living Magazine at the dentist the other day--the one with the fantastic beehive cake on the cover. Imagine my surprize to see a picture layout of various handmade bee skeps--these were used for housing bees long ago before beekeepers started using square wood hives. Anyway, I recognized one that I had seen being made at the Altamont Fair! I was so excited......the fair was the first time I had even heard of such a thing. Isn't it nice when something local is way ahead of the popular curve? Anyway, I was even more excited to find out that this bee skep making will be demonstrated at this year's Altamont Fair in the Grange Building. Using rye straw.....See you at the Grange building Thursday August 14 from 1til 5 in the afternoon or again in the evening. It's amazing!

No comments: